RCU Forums - View Single Post - Catalina PBY2 - Budd Chappell
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2008, 05:05 PM
siddus74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Catalina PBY2 - Budd Chappell

Guys,

Just a quick update as I finally managed to maiden the Budd Chappell Catalina today . . . all I can say is WOW! I am so, so pleased with the out come, after a couple of engine tuning issues it soon became apparent that this a going to be one of my favourite water planes. All the hardwork and keeping it nice an light has paid off. The addition of ailerons played dividens on the take off as well as the additional step just back from the CG.

The take off was uneventfull and even with 2 x .10's it reaches it's maximum speed and will climb @ quite a steeply with out stalling, although the wing was built with traditional D Box construction as apposed to the plan way I retained all the profiles together with the wash out which enables it to fly slowly along with not haveing a tendency to just let go . . .

Although the ailerons were a must on take off Budd Chappell was right in saying that it will fly on just the rudder . . .

When one engine went out at resonable altitude I just thought that it went out of trim, it just started to do large circles - this is definately a twin that will fly one engine, when I say fly you can continue to fly it around no problems.

I am so pleased that I stayed with the 2 x .10's as apposed the .15's at 4.5 lbs it was on half throttle most of the time.

By the end of the day I was flying large cirles about 10 feet of the deck at such a slow speed - it was enchanting . . . I am so proud

Below are some pictures taken with a mobile phone so not great, hoping to get a couple of some picture taken by a friend with a high digital SLR later.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35745.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	942784   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm35657.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	942785   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48054.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	23.2 KB