RCU Forums - View Single Post - Welcome to Club SAITO !
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2008, 07:48 PM
alfredbmor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

I want to share something that happened to me last Sunday:
I have a Venus 40 plane which had a Saito 72 (I had some death sticks) I changed the engine and bolted my Saito 82 and flew it last Sunday. I had three death sticks on my three flights.
Some fellows came to me to see what was happening some of them telling what I should do to avoid the engine from stopping.
After some research the result is that the tank is a bit higher than the center of the carburetor, no problem and I will fix it soon.

But what resulted in a very interesting comment is what I want to share.

A very close friend of mine (Good experienced pilot, builder and skilled with the engines) came to me and, not knowing about the tank issue told me that the engine was overheating and that was the cause of the death sticks (Yes the engine was overheating), then told me that I could manage set the valves in different manner to avoid the overheating situation.
Here is where I need you opinion.
My friend said that I should open the gap of the intake by two points (or half more the stock) in example:
Gap recommended by the manufacturer is .004 inches
My friend suggests .006 inches

Also told me, that the exhaust valve should be twice the recommended gap. Example:
Gap recommended by the manufacturer is .004 inches
My friend suggests .008 inches.

The effect of opening the valves is letting in more fuel and assures that all exhaust is off the engine before the new stroke which would lead to a cooler operating engine.

So what do you all guys think about this?