Old 05-09-2008, 02:35 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Interesting tidbit from the President's Blog

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: ira d

I wont argue the fact that the FAA has been looking into model
operation in the last year or so.

I can assure you that they have been doing do for far longer. As far back as 1999 or 2000 I know that the local FAA folks in SOCAL were very aware of model airplanes, and had a surprising knowledge of their capabilities.

As far as enforce actions go, I have personal knowledge of three situations where the FAA has been involved with applying AC 91-57 as the standard for model operations.

Prado Regional Park (PVMAC), El Dorado Park (EDSF), and Fairview Park (Harbor Soaring Society). All os these are in SOCAL. In all three places they are close enough to local airports that the FAA took notice and requested that the local agencies that operated the park have the modelers hold to the 400 foot limit stated in AC 91-57. Did the FAA arrest or cite people? No. But what they did do was render an opinion to the City/County agencies that own the various sites that the models need to operate in accordance with AC 91-57. Those local agencies then enforced the limits stated in AC 91-57.

I agree that in places here there is little or no chance of a conflict with full size planes the FAA is very unlikely to even notice, but in places where that potential exists I think the FAA has clearly demonstrated that they WILL get involved.

As far as the topic of this post, I see it as the next step in what they are already doing. So far their position has been that if you operate in accordance with AC 91-57, you are a model airplane. If not, then you will be subject to various regulations, some of which they are still forming. So for the vast majority of us I think we can rest easy. This is really aimed at commercial ventures and so on. I recall one FAA person a few years back telling us that at that time the Global Hawk could launch, fly at 40,000 feet across the Pacific and never once be subject to normal aviation rules. The FAA wanted to change that. And that type of operation is what this is all about.
I agree with you 100% However in the cases you site the FAA did not
go after individual rc plane pilots as they would have if the rc pilots had
been regulated and had a FAA license of some sort.

I have always said the FAA dont care what you do with your model
unless you conflict with full scale and the cases you site were clearly
conflicts with full scale operation, As to how much that will change in
the future we will just have to wait and see.