RCU Forums - View Single Post - Whats been the biggest effect of 2.4 ghz
Old 05-15-2008, 01:43 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Whats been the biggest effect of 2.4 ghz

ORIGINAL: rclement

I just read on a website here in WA. that the FCC is going to be requiring us to switch to 2.4 by Jan. of 2010. The article said something about that you could trade in one of your old 72 recievers and get two new 2.4 recievers. Anyone heard of that?
Do you have a link to that story???

If it is true I wouldn't surprised at all. I haven't said anything but I've been predicted that this was going to happen to the old 72 Mhz frequencies. While I haven't seen anything hard in writing from the FCC yet, it's to be expected for them to make this move. This goes along with the phase out of the old analog Television equipment. By January 2009 all broadcast TV in the US must be digital and on the new frequencies. As part of this move the FCC has sold, or is planning to sell off these frequencies. Last January the FCC had the largest frequency auction ever held in which they sold off some of the old UHF television frequencies. The frequencies sold are going to be used for long distance wireless internet access. After 2009 we can expect the rest of the television frequencies to be auctioned as well. What's bad for us is that the 72 Mhz we use sits right in that band of frequncies, so I imagine the FCC is going to force us out of them. And we won't have a leg to stand on if that happens because the FCC will just say that we already have something else that we can use with 2.4 Ghz out there.

So that's what Ken's crystal ball says. Let's wait and see how close it is to being what actually happens.

Ken