RCU Forums - View Single Post - Elec. or Nitro REVO-convince me!!
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2008, 04:52 PM
beer=food
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Elec. or Nitro REVO-convince me!!

ORIGINAL: Mspeed

Traxxas has claimed that the plastic chassis used on the new e-revo is made of a different composite than the stardard stuff they have been using in their current electrics. Traxxas also claims with the new backbone support its suppost to be very tough. With the tranny set up and the way the motors run off the spur, I dont think they will have a issue with stripping spurs on their e-revo, but who knows anything till it comes out, well see.
l guess the question here is , Do you believe them ?
Because l believe they have changed it, but l have spent 2 years at kambrook moulding plastics in my younger days, and to change a plastic, requires one TEA cup of additives, its effectively changed, it aint no stronger but it can be claqimed to be.l trust they have changed it, not made any real gains in stregnth though, just gains in % dollars.
Fact here is this, plastic costs about 20 US dollars to mould the ENTIRE truck, the revo alloy chassis is about 5 bucks on its own to make, its high quallity metal, made in a , usually 8 ton or more MAZDAC or the like heavy punch system, its way dearer basicly, so if traxxas can ''convince'' you that its better than an alloy one, firstly, they have conned you, secondly they have lied to you, but most of all if they do convince you, they have ripped you off, because you are at that point purchasing something you believed to be stronger than a metal version.
Anything can be claimed to be ''very tough'' its what its compaired to that counts. Dont be overwhelmed by advertising lingo jingo.
Tell me would you buy a revo and which one if these were the specs ?

First, what you see now, the alloy chassis version.
Second a version of the current nitro revo with a plastic chassis ?
Or third the current model nitro revo with a titanium chassis ?

Which one and why ?

Pretty obvious which one requires the most engeneering isnt it/
Also pretty obvious which one is strongest, yes ?

After that can you see how they engineer plastic for profit over strength ?
There are better ways, imagine an E-Revo with a titanium/alloy chassis, megga light, very flexible, unbelievably strong, insanely strong actually, and what are they trying to convince you of, plastic is better, hahahahaha.......

It is dearer indeed, but l recon, like me , most would pay an extra 50 to 80 bucks on top of the current price for a titanium chassis, it is viable, especially in todays economic enviroment.