RCU Forums - View Single Post - Flying Thingz
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2008, 10:11 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Flying Thingz

I was reluctant to post here first since I have not flown the lawnmower in question "Although I do own one new in box with no immediate plans to go ahead with it for now. No issues just many other projects in the way. Think I picked it up for seventy five bucks from someone at the field.

I have however flown the old RCM plans Porsche Race Car that I built, extensively for a few years back around 1999 to about 2003 and I beleve there will be many genaric handling chacteristics to share if I may.

Basically these kind of airplanes are a very low aspect ratio flying wing actually closer to a delta than a flying wing. Two traits of a delta are the need to rotate to a very high angle of attack for take off and landing. This means only tricycle gear will be effective and the gear legs must also be long enough to allow for this high angle of attack and it needs to be sufficiently close to the CG to allow the relatively low elevator authority to be able to rotate the airplane for take off. Elevator throws must be kept high to enable the takeoff. I found pitch control in flight relatively benign and not pitch sensitive at all There fore I kept Expo at a minimum on elevator. Takeoffs were easy but speed must be there and you must rotate to a steep angle or you will never leave the ground on breaking ground you must reduce elevator or you will stall. Actually the lawnmower may be better in this regard since the old RCM was quite a bit heavier with about the same wing area. Landing at any rate are fast but easy.

The other common trait of a delta wing aircroft (or a very low aspect ratio flying wing) is to display a tendency to exhibit the excessive dutch roll everyone is talking about. It really is because the pilot is behind the airplane causing PIO - pilot induced ossilation. The good news is its easily controlled with expo. The rate of roll is quite slow so large aileron throws must be used and this is what causes the PIO. Just as 3D enthusiast do use high throws and high expo I used around 60% negative in my case (hitec). This worked out well.

As far as using these types of airplanes for someone just coming off a trainer is well, downright silly (it ain,t gonna happen) and rather than regaining respect of your club mates you will just be losing what respect you already may have had.

I neglected to say I did finally crash the airplane and it was my fault as usual pushing it beyond its capabilitys doing something stupid.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32864.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	952330   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86225.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	287.7 KB
ID:	952331   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90869.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	187.9 KB