RCU Forums - View Single Post - Frequency Change by Crystals Only?
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2002, 07:06 PM
Ladyflyer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Frequency Change by Crystals Only?

Gee Joe ,don't go away with a 'tude. This question is asked very often. Go back to my first response.
The ORIGINAL question WAS answered YES to the "CAN I" . Yes you can and if you can't verify the results or you are otherwise not qualified NO you should not . So the qualifier is NO for most fliers.Many teachers took the time to make clear the differences between "can I " and "MAY I"

Of course a license is no guarantee.just a step in the right direction. There are explanations that go with the yesses and nos . Don't like em ,don't read em.

You brought up the receiver issue and opined that if changing the RX XTAL is OK it is therefore OK to change the TX XTAL. Flawed logic based on an incorrect premise. The FCC doesn't give a horses poot about your toy airplane. You are sharing the band however with people who have a license to be there . The licensed people are the folks the FCC is trying to protect from interference. That is why you can do ANYTHING you want to the RECEIVER ,ANYONE CAN ,but your type approved transmitter should only get RF service from a QUALIFIED tech.

He also asked in the ORIGINAL(you aren't the only question asker here) question if his DC crystal would work in his transmitter ! OF COURSE ,we should have just said YES and left it there . A SIMPLE YES or NO right JOE ? You would not have been FORCED to read the caveat that he would be transmitting on a totally different frequency. (ANOTHER GREAT REASON FOR QUALIFIED TECHS ON RF DECKS !!!) Possibly a frequency that is controlling a crane moving a 20 ton coil of steel !

Anyone CAN ,some should not. If you have a pretty good background and the ticket you realize the equipment required is really pretty basic. And you know (or SHOULD know ) the answer to your yes/no question .

Can you go 95 if a 25 ? Yes Joe YOU can ! Can you get an attitude when someone says you can but should not ? YES Joe YOU can . Yes simple answers work best .

Have fun flying.

Talk about semantics !

Fourth response to this thread.

Fri November 01, 2002 05:26 PM

Dante , I have a lot of respect for the fact you are asking the question, First, what you are doing is illegal. It is not likely you will ever be caught ,let alone prosecuted but it is somewhat risky. Illegal crystal changing has a few down sides besides the legal issues. For one thing the crystal socket was not made for frequent repeated insertion and removal when you find out the socket is worn it is usually rif=ght after your plane went in. Another point is forgeting which freq you last installed and shooting someone down when you turn on ch 42 thinking you were on 46. Some other flyers take a dim view of the practice and when someone is mysteriously shot down they have good reason to look at your equipment.
It is not likely that you will be of freq or too wide in bandwidth but you don't know till you check.