Thread: Club Enya
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2008, 08:22 PM
GaGeeBees
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Club Enya

ORIGINAL: rrengineer

Awsome engine run. Very nice, clean installation. How about some particulars like what fuel, fuel system setup, etc. Looks like you have on board glow drivers. Is the fuel system pressurized? Do you think it might be too much for the Top Flight Staggerwing? What is the all up weight of this model. How much was the exhaust manifold? I only ask these questions because I am waiting for UPS to deliver my Ebay VT-240 it has no exhaust and I am trying to figure out what models it will be best for. Supposed to be in the 20 pound range I have been told.
Mike
Fuel is Omega Cool Power 4-cycle - no additives or special mixing, just fuel straight off the hobby shop shelf.

Standard two-line tank with DuBro fueling valve.

I was NOT using a pressure tap for this run. The manual says it may not be needed and that appears to be true - at least for this installation.

Glow driver is McDaniel/SonicTronics two cylinder driver with a 2400 mAh 4-cell NiCad pack. Excellent product at a great price.

Regarding whether this will be too much for the Staggerwing, I don't think so. I originally set up and flew this plane all last season with a Saito 1.70 radial. While it flew well enough, I had to bolt 26 ounces to the firewall in order to balance it. Additionally, the Saito was marginal on takeoff and there was just no room for error. Any engine sag on takeoff would have most likely resulted in a lost aircraft. The larger Enya should give me some reserve horsepower and allow me to replace the lead ballast with weight that actually helps turn the prop. All up weight is 21 pounds.

The exhaust collector was ~ $130 including the shipping. It fit perfectly right out of the box. Kelvin is a great craftsman (and an excellent modeller in his own right) and you'll enjoy doing business with him.