RCU Forums - View Single Post - Alpha 40 Trainer
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2008, 12:01 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Alpha 40 Trainer

walkingtall,

The Alpha 40 is a great trainer, quite rugged and good flying. You won’t regret your choice there. Here are some tips I’ve found work on it, and I use on my students Alpha’s:

• Be sure to use Loctite when you assemble the tail so the bolts won’t back out. Actually use it on all metal to metal bolt or screw connections except the prop retaining bolt or any bolts on the engine its self.

• You don’t have to epoxy the wings together, just use some 2” packing tape. It’ll hold just fine. The aluminum tube in the wing is large enough that the wings will not separate in flight.

• Make sure it is properly balanced.

• Pull the pins out of the high-end and low-end needle valves – they prevent the engine from being properly tuned.

• First tank of fuel through the engine should be at a very rich setting. (If you’ve never run an engine in, get somebody with experience to help you if you can).

• Second tank alternate between very rich for 30 seconds, and peaking it for 30 seconds. Repeat for the whole tank.

• Third tank it’s ready to set the high-end needle at 400 rpm, or 3 or 4 clicks rich of peak and go fly. Here’s it’s helpful to get somebody with experience to help set the engine up properly.

• Elevator throw is generally not enough for a good flair as it comes from the factory. If it won’t hold the nose up on landing (wants to 3-point), then move the elevator pushrod in one hole on the control horn.

• Have an experienced pilot perform the maiden flight. It will most likely be out of trim.

• Most important – get an instructor if you don’t already have one.

So far I’ve had good luck using the stock 3-blade prop on the new Alpha 40’s (but it’s a dog on the Alpha 60).

Hogflyer