RCU Forums - View Single Post - P 51 Trainer
Thread: P 51 Trainer
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2008, 05:59 PM
f_shawn68

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: P 51 Trainer

This was my first plane and trainer. I had never flown anything before. I spent alot of time on the sim that it came with. I flew the plane 5 times with someone taking it off and landing it for me. They would just hand off the remote when it was in the air and let me fly it. I flew it plenty high that I could give the control back before it came close to the ground. Before I joined a club, the guys who I was relying on to train me seemed put out and not interested in teaching a new guy. I went out and on flight 6 and 7, flew it on my own telling myself "if it crashes, I will just buy a new one". I will say, take off's were harder than landings. The sim that came with the plane didnt require near as much rudder as the real thing did. I have the hang of it now and have 5 successful solo flights on it. From the beginning, I took all but the wing droops off of the plane as advised by guys who had also learned on the plane. Im not saying its something someone should do, but it worked well for me. I also learned with a 2 blade prop. If you dont want much speed, throttle back. I love the plane. I now have 2 more waiting in line for when I feel comfortable making the move to the next level. The guys at the club, who are also trainers, really like the way it flies. They are of the old fashion and still dont think a low wing is a trainer, but have been proven wrong as many people have learned to fly with one. I may buy a tripod landing gear plane some day, but most of the planes I like are all tail draggers. If its what you like, get one, but read through the thread on some things you want to inspect or modify before you take it out. LIke the muffler, landing gear, etc. simple beginner fixes that will make the plane more enjoyable. Get a sim too. It really does help. All the club trainers I have spoken with can tell who has spent time on a sim.
Good luck in your decision.