RCU Forums - View Single Post - CMP SUPER CHIPMUNK 120
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2008, 07:13 PM
tonywayne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CMP SUPER CHIPMUNK 120

Here are some pics of what iv done to take some weight off. The lighting holes in the fuselage will be hidden by the cowl and canopy. I also cute about an inch off the back of the cowl and most off the bottom. So fare I have removed about 6 oz of fiberglass. The wheel pants will not be used for my next flight as they weigh 3oz a piece. I’m also doing away with the flaps, fixing them rigged and covering the gaps with monocote. This will cut a few oz and covering the ½” gaps will help the wing fly a little better. One mod that I never mentioned is the elevator pushrod was not very stable so I had to add supports to guide it without flopping around in the fuselage, I just glued 2 pop cycle sticks verticality on each side of the pushrod on the middle bulkhead in the tail. I also ca’d the metal wires in the pushrod tube before I tightened the set screw and used quick connectors on my servo arms. I had one set screw on the pushrod tube strip out and I didn’t trust them. I don’t know why my plane came out so heavy 10 ½ lbs. My CG was at 5”. I think I have lost enough weight in the nose to remove the lead in the tail and move the CG up to 4.5” or maybe more. I have removed at least pound Like I said it was extremely tail heavy at 5”. Hopefully she will be a lot more pleasant to fly on my second attempt.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15150.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	959808   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70357.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	959809   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ye84336.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	43.4 KB