RCU Forums - View Single Post - My airplane gets into these tight on a dime uncontrolled maneuvers.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:45 PM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My airplane gets into these tight on a dime uncontrolled maneuvers.

The description of your "tight loops and circles" is called a spin. A spin is a stalled maneuver when one wing is stalled, either due to lack of air speed or a high angle of attack. When you enter a spin, any control surface input tends to deepen the stall, and make the spin worse. My guess is that its occurring because you are trying to fly slowly, and trying to hold the nose up with elevator, inducing the stall and subsequent spin.

The way to exit a spin is to let go of your sticks and push the throttle up. This will allow the nose to drop, and the plane will gain airspeed. Then gently apply up elevator and the plane will level out.

To avoid the spin, maintain your airspeed. Keep an eye out for the stall (normally causes a nose drop). If your starting a stall, LET GO OF THE ELEVATOR. This will allow the plane to drop the nose and regain airspeed.

I have students that either add the aileron too quickly or to far, and the plane will bank, and then dive into a roll. If you get into this situation and just try to hold up elevator, once again you risk entering a spin.

You're best bet is the buddy box. The instructor will be able to tell you exactly what's happening and why.

Brad