RCU Forums - View Single Post - My airplane gets into these tight on a dime uncontrolled maneuvers.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:01 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My airplane gets into these tight on a dime uncontrolled maneuvers.

ORIGINAL: Tissan

Thanks Brad, encoded that.
It doesn’t matter which direction the airplane is going in, just let go of the elevator with a full throttle and let it be leveled.
I’ll use 46 LA with 11x6 or 11x5 props.
Although the plane may have some self leveling tendencies, you will have to use the elevator to bring the nose up. Just don't panic and pull full elevator. CG's advice about expo may help, depending on how much throw you have on the elevator and ailerons. Just get some airspeed before you add the elevator.

A good thing to practice for the new students is to get the plane up high and just let go of the sticks in different attitudes and see what happens. This can increase the students confidence in the plane to remain in the air. It also helps the students learn to evaluate the situation before putting in the wrong control input, and reduce the urge to panic to save the plane.

For a typical trainier, if its climbing and approaching a stall condition, letting go of the elevator should allow it to drop the nose, which will gain airspeed. Then you can pull it back to level if it doesn't do it on its own.

If its in a spin, releasing the controls should generally stop the spin. Adding throttle with the nose down condition should pull the plane out of the spin.

Never pull up elevator to prevent a stall (unless you happen to be inverted at the time).

The 11x5 is a good match for the 46LA. I've found the 11x6 tends to be overpropping an LA 46, but others might disagree.

Brad