RCU Forums - View Single Post - prop balancing
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2008, 05:40 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: prop balancing

ORIGINAL: F-18

I was going to order some new props for my alpha 60 when i saw an add for a prop balancer. i want to know how important it is ti balance a prop for a trainer and if i should invest in the balancer. thanks

A friend of mine flew his new Hangar 9 model the other day. The particular model has a belly bulge wood screwed to the bottom of the wing. There are about 10 tiny woodscrews through a plastic piece and no glue or anything else. He believes that you don't need to balance today's props. He lost about half those screws the first time he flew the airplane.

You will discover that our unbalanced props can vibrate at frequencies that will walk steel screws out that were tight to begin with. Matter of fact, it's often a good idea to not use steel bolts to hold a wing on. Nylon bolts are grippy and really don't respond to vibration like a hard metal bolt does. It's not a bad idea to retrofit metal bolts that hold critical pieces together with nylon bolts. And the wing is a rather critical component.