RCU Forums - View Single Post - Nitro %'s
Thread: Nitro %'s
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2008, 01:21 PM
wjvail
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Nitro %'s

Most "car/truck" engines are designed for fuel with about 25% nitro as mixed by volume. The numbers quoted by fuel manufactures today are almost ALWAYS mixed by weight. 25% nitro by volume is about 33% nitro by weight. So when Traxxas fuel says it is 33% nitro, I personally only consider it 25%. With that out of the way...

Our engines can be made to run on 65% nitro and above as mixed by volume but most surface use engines today have a sweet spot at around 25% (33% by weight). I say they "can be made" to run on these fuels because as you deviate from the designed nitro content, modifications have to be made to the engine to optimize the new higher nitro content. Performance will improve as the nitro percentage is increased and changes are made to the engine; however, running 50% nitro in an engine that has be optimized for 25%, without modification, is asking for trouble.

Your question is akin to asking "can I put 5 quart of oil in my Honda if it says use 4 qts?". The answer is yes if you modify the oil pan and there would be some benefit to having a larger oil reservoir. Putting in 5 qts without modification might work but it is asking for trouble and certainly not recommend. Its kinda like that.

Bill

Edited for typos.....