RCU Forums - View Single Post - Northeast SPA Event Schedule
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2008, 10:04 AM
kingaltair
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Northeast SPA Event Schedule

EXCELLENT

It is great to be able to place faces with the "posters" of the threads. You need to send this same description and photos to Bruce Underwood for the SPA newsletter. You are right, the field looks great, and you folks look happy doing what we vintage pattern buffs love to do. It doesn't seem to matter what part of the country it is, the ingredients for success are the same, enthusiasm for vintage pattern, desire to fly competitively AND for fun at the same time, and the emphasis of each individual over the event itself. When you do that, and make newcomers feel welcome while still flying inexpensive planes you are going to be successful, and draw a lot of new people. It really is the "best-kept secret within AMA", but the word is getting out.

We just had our "Hotlanta" contest this past weekend, and it lived up to its billing[8D] Gatorade was flowing freely during the day, but we still managed to have a good time. There will be contest results and pictures posted soon on the SPA web site, www.seniorpattern.com.

Like at your meet, it is particularly fulfilling and encouraging to see younger pilots with all kinds of different backgrounds come together with the same interest-to fly at a vintage pattern meet. As I have always said, this organization is not limited to "old guys" with their old relics-it's all about COMPETITION WITH vintage planes-and competition isn't age-related, and never gets old. We had several "newbies"in their 20s and early 30s join us so far this season, and we are always seeing new faces. People that watched and took it all in last year are competing this year.

Our next OFFICIAL SPA contest is in Asheville, NC July 12-13th at my home field-hosted by the Asheville ABA, (Asheville/Buncombe Aeromodelers). My hope is that at least some of you folks setting up workshops etc in the NE Chapter will come down and fly with us, as Jim Hamilton did in 2006, (hope to see you Jim), Randy S, (from the Indiana Chapter) did last weekend in preparation for his own upcoming contest. It's the very BEST way to see how it all comes together, and live the "SPA EXPERIENCE"

If anyone is considering taking me up on my invitation please contact me. I guarantee I'll make you feel welcome and give you the "red carpet" treatment.

Duane Wilson (Kingaltair)