RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top 5 Electric Warbirds?? Lets rank them
Old 06-09-2008, 03:00 PM
cv640

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top 5 Electric Warbirds?? Lets rank them

My #1 favorite is the Great Planes Combat Mustang. I know it is not sold as an electric but I put a Himax 3522-990 with a 10x10 APC E and it is FAST! Not too hard to fly either. I had a Parkzone Mustang (acutally two) and the Great Planes mustang is much easier to fly in my opinion mostly because of how much more power it has with my setup. I wrote a full review of it if anyone is interested. E-flightline.com has a video of it on their video page, though my setup is a little different.

As far as Hyperions go, I had the P-51 .25E with the retracts (anybody see a pattern?). I got such a good deal on the kit I couldn't pass it up, but I stopped flying it after a couple flights because it just lumbered around and was not anywhere near the warbird type performance I had hoped for. I had a 400W (540W peak) motor on which was more powerful than the recommended setup, but she still couldn't even do a full loop. The gear needed to be bent back after every landing (and they weren't all bad) and eventually the left main gear assembly just came apart after a takeoff. I certainly didn't think it was all it was cracked up to be and after finally giving up on it I went back to my trusty Great Planes Combat Mustang and have never looked back.

I have flown (thought don't own) a Pzone T-28 and it is a fun airplane to fly, I was just a bit disappointed with quality of the motor. It is not the standard park 480 890 that E-flight sells, it seems to be a knockoff of something. The motor mount was a little flimsy as well.

I think the next bird in the hangar (actually livingroom) will be the GP P-40, but I just have to wait to crash one of the others first.