RCU Forums - View Single Post - SkyMaster MB339 Build Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2008, 06:57 AM
richbran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SkyMaster MB339 Build Thread

As this thread has been silent for a while, I am picking up the story, as I have received my MB (ready painted in Frecce Tricolori colours) some time ago and now busy working on it.

A few things:
The idea stolen from my friend Leo (who also builds one) I made a temporary stand to accomodate all the gear components and test it. Good idea, as I found out that some Skymaster door cylinders were leaking. (new ones will be sent, good service).
The gear itself proved flawless, not only it looks sturdy and made to a high standard, but it works just perfect. Almost comic to see that gear flap upright on the bench!
The same time I could delve in the software of the Weatronic and adjust it to suit, make the Jettronics (from Sandor) work as they should.

The nosegear main door proved a headache to get it hinged right. First started with the offset hinges, but that did not work due to the double curvature of the door.
Then I looked again at the 1/1 MB pics, and noticed very faintly it has outward hinges.
So I copied that using normal Robart flat hinges.
First I glued some aluminium brackets to the door. Take care to align the vertical panes to be in line.
I removed the hinge pins and replaced it with a long 1mm wire that runs through both of them, to get both hinges working in the same hinge line, very important.
Then I tack glued one side to the alu brackets, taking care the piano wire touches the door just in the middle, any further out mounting of the hinges is not necessary.

Removed some material from the fuse side and made plywood blocks to receive the other side of the hinge. Here too, careful alignment is important
Then tack glued the othe side to the blocks.

The end result is, the door fits like a glove and is easily rotated to more than 180 degrees! You cannot get even close with offset hinges...

Now I need to touch op some parts, and tip paint the hinges, install a bracket to attach the actuator rod. I might cut back the alu brackets a bit if they stick too far inside, hampering the gear.

The long wire will be replaced with shorter hinge pins, but will definitely make them removable to be able to remove the door.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94598.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	969672   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99064.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	969673   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78933.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	41.2 KB