RCU Forums - View Single Post - ARF / KIT Difference Discussion
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2008, 07:02 PM
squeakalong
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ARF / KIT Difference Discussion

I think the main difference for me is time. I have two scratch/build from plans and one kit build that is nearing completion. These take time as I tend to nit-pick my own work until I'm satisfied with it. Just bought a GP Cherokee ARF (Father's Day gift) and while it really looked nice in the box, bagged and all, it has taken a bit of time to get it where I want it. My wife just came down to view the Cherokee and she really likes it...even asked me if I had enough fuel (...why, no dear, I may have to run to the LHS and get some ). I'll have this model finished and ready to enjoy in much less time than it would take me to build it. And it looks like a real airplane. While building from kits or plans will always be my first choice I can see where the ARF can truly add to the hobby. If and when (and the manufacturers will realize this) the ARF's get to the point where Quality Control equates to a nicely built/covered aircraft that is truly almost ready to fly then modelers will beat a path to their door to save time building and spend more time flying.