RCU Forums - View Single Post - ARF / KIT Difference Discussion
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2008, 08:20 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ARF / KIT Difference Discussion

ORIGINAL: Nathan King

Kits/plans are typically more expensive to finish, but if you really want something original you can't beat a kit/plans. It's cool knowing that nobody else has an airplane like yours. I seem to be able to get a better feel of how a kit will fly before the maiden because I am intimately familiar with every detail (if that makes sense).

Modern ARF's are affordable, look great, are good quality, and quick to assemble. You can't beat either.

You betcha.............

And I'd like to add a wrinkle to what you said so well.

You can still get some of the feeling of uniqueness (is that a word?) with an ARF. I have always gotten a kick out of the WWII markings the US Navy did for awhile. They marked their aircraft to show what carrier they were from. And the Bunker Hill's markings were arrows. Always wanted a Corsair with those arrows. They look like someone with a sense of humor suggested them. "This end up" and "Fly in this direction" come to mind. And there was a squadron along about that time that called themselves The Checkerboards and had cowls painted to match. Hey, thanks to ARF'ing, I got one airplane that has all that. Perfectly realistic? Nah, but then, neither is the canopy and a number of other things.

I had to peel off some of the ARF "decals" and add my details, but I easily had time for that.

One of these days I'll draw myself plans for another Dewoitine 520 but this time make it about the H9 60 size. And pull out some of the contest balsa that's been lovingly stored for years. Until then......

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37669.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	973420