RCU Forums - View Single Post - New Hangar 9 1.50 P-51 Build
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2008, 09:16 AM
Rip n Bank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hangar 9 1.50 P-51 Build

I was in the air when Kahloq made his belly landing, so while I didn't get to see it, it was good job getting her down in one piece! Good take-off, too, WITHOUT the assistance of a gyro. If you get used to managing that torque-steer with the left thumb, you could always move the gyro to your KMP B-25 where you'll want it for the eventual engine-out scenario!

As for the Keleo unthreading itself; yep, the 220's vibration will make even the tightest header nut back out! Try putting some Permatex silicon muffler gasket material (a rust-red goop in a tube the consistency of tooth paste) on the threads first, then tighten it down and wait 24 hours before flying. Also, make sure the excess sealer oozing out of the threading when you insert it coats the side of the nut being tightened against the cylinder head. THEN, wipe off the excess.

I forgot to do this when first mounting my Keleo on Frankie; it came loose during flight 8 or so with a noticeable corresponding loss of power (and maybe pressurized fuel flow, too, who knows). Since putting this sealer on Frankie's Keleo exhaust, and, historically, on all my Saito 100's and 125, I've never had a header nut back out after using this stuff. Yet, it'll release and allow disassembly fairly easily. They sell tubes of it at most auto parts stores.

The "Old Crow" electric Frankie was an impressive performer, I'll say! Tons of power on tap, clearly faster than my 220 version, and lots of vertical. Being that it was his #2 test flight, the vertical was certainly good to explore and understand, but straight-up warbird flying seems quite "un-scale", and its quietness begged for an on-board sound system, which I believe the owner said he intended to install.

In any case, it's always good to have another giant warbird in the "squadron"...

Rip