RCU Forums - View Single Post - New Hangar 9 1.50 P-51 Build
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2008, 05:26 PM
Rip n Bank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hangar 9 1.50 P-51 Build

ORIGINAL: mdishinger

Well I don't know if you remember my post a while back where I noted that Frankie is my first warbird/flaps/1/5 size etc... I went out and downsized to the new Topflite Gold Mustang (Hurry Home Honey) and flew it for the first time today. Fist I did a little ground work taxiing around, after somewhat comfortable I took off and the plane handled like a dream. With the Saito 100 power was not an issue, I remembered everything that I read at this forum on landing a mustang. I hit the flaps in first position as I was entering my approach nose down hit full flaps brought her in nose down throttled down and it flaired to hit on all three points.....what luck. After bringing her back to the bench I noticed that the gear seemed a little wobbly, took off the wing and everything seemed right. I even loosened the set screws and readjusted the linkage. Went back up for another flight and really began to enjoy how this bird flies. I landing followed the same procedure as above, except I may have been coming in a little hotter but on track for a perfect landing. The front wheels hit and the tail was riding high, backing down on the speed and one of the mechanicals gave way and collapsed. Upon inspection there was no damage to the hardwood or other parts of the plane. The retract mounting flanges which are black plastic completeley disintegrated. I really would like to upgrade without the air type of retracts. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Don't know if they'll come close to fitting the gear rails in your wing, but I upgraded my H9 60 Mustang (Marie) with Robart 609HD 85 degree mechanical retracts. MUCH stronger (and less wobbly) than the stock H9 retracts. I landed on them for two years (100+ flights) before they wore out!

At $30 a pair at most LHS, I think they're a steal. I almost just put another set in, but decided to go with Robart offset oleo struts and pneumatics this time...

Rip