RCU Forums - View Single Post - New Hangar 9 1.50 P-51 Build
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2008, 05:30 PM
cwharper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hangar 9 1.50 P-51 Build

Hi folks, I didn't want to restart the kit retract wars again, but was just interested in hearing if anybody found any ready-made retracts that would be a pretty close drop-in fit.

Let me tell what I am trying out. I called Spring Air and asked if they had any that would fit. Is it Bill? from Spring Air, he said the 704's would. So when I received them, no they wouldn't fit, to small in everyway. Maybe they would have fit the old version P51D, but not the new version. After a closer investigation, I discovered the 404's had a bolt pattern that would pretty darn near fit, with a little extension of the bolt pattern it would probably fit. Bill, had some offset 1/2" diameter and 9" oleo's to go with the 404's, he said to cut them off to the length of the stock oleo. I know the offsets will require some minor cutouts to the well area. We'll see when they get here.

By the way, when I pulled my last set of working stock retracts out, I found some cracks in the welds that would surely have popped off on the next flight and caused another nose over. I've been lucky the last two times it did this. But no more flying until I get the retract issue resolved.