RCU Forums - View Single Post - Help me choose please....!!!
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2008, 04:55 PM
Supa Koopa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me choose please....!!!

Hi guys,

I realise this sort of question gets asked all the time. A search has helped but but not completely.

I am looking at buying my first plane. I fly helis at the moment and fancy a bit of a change. I would like to build the plane from a kit rather than a ARF, which narrows down my choices espcially since I'm from the UK and so we don't get as big a choice as you guys from over the pond do. I know that everyone is going to say to buy a trainer and I know that is a good idea but they look so damn boring, Is there anything else I can build that looks nice but is suitable to learn on. I've been practicing on the sim and the high wings are so slow to turn I have more trouble with those than the low wings.

The ones I have been looking at are the Sig Somethin' Extra which looks nice but is probably too much for me now. The one I would to build is a Pitts Special, so basically a nice Bi Plane, or the Hog Bipe. Same again I've been warned away from those. The one at the minute which I am thinking about is the Sig Piper Cub J3 Anniversary Edition. Nice high wing, so should be more docile, big wings so lower wing loading, but still looks like a nice plane. Although after reading some posts I am not too sure if this is going to be too much to learn on as well.

So any input on any of these or any suggestions would be greatfully received.

I would like,

A kit, preferably Laser cut.
Looks like a plane rather than a rectangle with wings.
Good flight characteristics that I can learn on, and maybe later increase the throws for mild aerobatics.
Available in the UK - which seems to limit me to Sig as I can't find anyone else (looked at LT40, Kadet, senior etc)
Something that I can stick a nice saito 4 stroke in - after hearing those on you tube I was sold, I have enough 2 strokes in my helis.
Budget upto around £120, that's what $240?

Thanks I wait with baited breath.

Craig.