RCU Forums - View Single Post - Foam Seawind EP from Great Planes...
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2008, 09:16 PM
jmupilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Foam Seawind EP from Great Planes...

I have replaced the cowling that got damaged when the motor mount blew out. I had to remove the entire assembly from the foam, and replace a few pieces of ply with new ones. I haven't gotten a chance to try it since the rebuild.. I didnt mention that on the flight that the motor mount went out I noticed that it seemed to really nose dive into the water as I applied throttle. I just took it as a quirk of the days flying and held full up eleveator until it reached planeing speed on the hull. As speed increased I just let off the elevator and as it reached take off speed I just pulled up. It did need a lot of up trim and after less than a minute of flight, the motor mount came apart. I got it landed in one piece, but the cowling was destroyed and the mount was damaged. Hope to try it agian this weekend. Still not sure why the mount came apart it looked like the glue joints just let go. Even the glue that holds the plywood back plate to the foam had let go. I'll give a report of the fixs as soon as I get it in the air again.

Once again please check your motor mounts and glue joints the water may have made you EP Seawind motor mounts loose also. Like I stated before mine has never been crashed, or even had a rough landing. The motor is not the one called for but is actually smaller than the RimFire they call for. Its a Team Orion Avionics Gust MS with a Kv of 1820 and swinging a 8x6 APC electric prop on 11.1 v 1350 mA Li-Po battery. the motor weighs 48 grams. More KV but smaller in dia and weight. It may have been a tourqe factor also, but I kinda doubt it.

Pete