RCU Forums - View Single Post - GEE BEE R3 RACER??WOW!!!
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2008, 11:13 PM
Vulture33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GEE BEE R3 RACER??WOW!!!

I saw this past weekend that Hobby-Lobby had pushed the date back to July 11th but on Thursday they modified it to say "Available Now" so I called - I had pre-ordered - my order was #26 in line - I understand that they are only getting 50 in the first shipment - but don't quote me on that. Anyway mine shipped and arrived today.

I actually got a 26cc gas engine that I was going to use, thinking that it would be comparable to the Great Planes Gee Bee R-2 in size. I attached a picture of the engine.

After getting it and seeing how light weight it is - the gas engine and the required modifications to strengthen the fuselage - made this not really worth the trouble. An AX 75 would be plenty. I am thinking that a 90 four stroke will be too much.

I have a 75 in my Little Toni that I will probably use or a 90 four stroke. I would really like to put a four stroke in it for the sound. I have several engine options, which is good.

I want it fast but sounding good as well.

Putting a over size engine won't be worth the trouble based on the light weight of the construction. It is VERY LIGHT which is good - but it makes it weak. I would be worried about increasing the weight too high just to have the fuselage snap in half on a hard landing.

I would love to start on it this weekend but I have a 1/3 scale ALL ALUMINUM Sopwith Camel that I designed and am fabricating from scratch. I am trying to finish the fabrication of the Camel for our July 12th fly-in (see the attached photos). I will have it fabricated and the Gee Bee ready to fly so I can provide some flight reports.

I will be adding a black box to the Camel that I might stick in the Gee Bee to get some hard data on the performance.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32918.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	979903   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14712.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	979904   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns44552.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	225.6 KB