RCU Forums - View Single Post - Smartech whats going on with the Thuderbolt reviews
Old 06-27-2008, 11:54 PM
Cal-Torque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Smartech whats going on with the Thuderbolt reviews

I think that the language barrier is an issue. And, there seems to be quite a few people answering on Smartech's behalf under the one ID.
I received mine quite a while ago. It was missing the wing, so I had to wait about 2 weeks for that. The weather didn't cooperate for several weeks, but I should get some drive time this weekend.
The radio gear on mine was faulty. Throttle EPA doesn't work, and it was all very twitchy. The servos seem very decent though. I dropped in a Nomadio transceiver, and I should be good to go.
A very short test drive in my backyard reveals the same issues as the Titan. The centre diff requires locking/stiff lube because it puts more power to the front. The problem in that is that the diffs aren't sealed. You could spool it like the Redcat I guess. I opted for an FG locking diff. That's another story.
Bearings aren't great... I replaced most from VXB.
Shocks are good, but require thicker fluid and different spring combos.
The dogbone issue (popping out) is easily fixed with Elcon conical springs in all of the cups. Works great.
Badly needs a pipe (even the Carson version with a CY27). I opted for a JetPro.

Overall, the core unit is very good, but it requires some upgrading out of the box to take any serious abuse. In my opinion, it's MUCH better than my FS MT. I'll have a Redcat on the way shortly, and see how that stacks up.

I'll try to get some vid of the stock buggy vs my "upgraded" Titan (Carson Gas Devil).

My primary concern for Smartech is that they didn't hammer the market initially, and back it up with parts and upgrade support. That left the door open for Redcat... Seriously, they should have had someone to coordinate the whole process. I don't believe that it's a lack of diligence or intent...just growing pains from a cloner to a credible brand.