RCU Forums - View Single Post - How to build a cheap retrieval boat
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2008, 08:54 PM
thevirginian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to build a cheap retrieval boat

I thought I am going to start a building thread how to build a cheap retrieval boat. This one is going to be different to what I have seen at the lake most the time. Everybody got one with a tennis ball in tow, which is not necessarely the best and the safest way of boat retrival. First of all the ball is a lot of drag for those small electric motors. Secondly, there is always a good chance that you run over your own line when you circle the boat to retrieve. Then you drag the stalled or flipped boat back to shore normally backwards. On your way back to the dock the floating boat you are retrieving is filled completely with water and thus submerged. The rescue mission turns into a survival mission for the rescue boat. But there is a better way to handle this situation. And that's what I want to share with you. I designed this boat in Autocad just like my Hydro, but this one is really simple in comparison. It also costs a lot less and should be build in no time. So let's get started. I already cut the ribs and the keel. Next step is to glue these parts together on a straight building board. I also got my drive unit. I found the gear box in my LHS and it is exactly what I had in mind. Two cheap 550's are the power units. They will give the boat plenty of torque. The boat is 40" long and 13.5" wide. Next step to follow soon.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89278.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	981131   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40067.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	981132