RCU Forums - View Single Post - f/a 18 hornet
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2008, 10:07 PM
Eric.Henderson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: f/a 18 hornet

Flew my "pink" Hobby Lobby Diamondback F-18 today from our grass runway. With the supplied 1300 mAh 3S LIPO it balanced perfectly. The 2200 pak zonne pack gave a good 6 minutes but made for a long take-off run. The 1300 had the nose up and away in about 30'.

Climb out was slow but steady. I would have loved to have been able to pull up the landing gear but settled for the "danglies" in the interest of lightness.

The airlane was acceptable with the stock unit but only gave 3 minutes on the supplie pack. Rolls were Ok but much better whend the twin elevators were made into rollevators. They both activated like ailerons when the switch was on!

Two servos were used for the aileroans which gave flaperon, airbrake and differential.

Twin rudders were fitted and conjoined with the steering servo. Photo shows twin rudder bellcrank.

Aileron was mixed into the rudders which gave bottom rudder in the turns which kept the nose down when entering a banked turn.

5 flights later and we are starting to do high alpha approaches. The nose can be held quite high at slow speeds and roll control is enghanced with the rollevators engaged. Using up aileron on both sides helps prevent the wing from stalling at these ludicrous nose-up angles. Having seen the full-size Super Hornet do high alpaha passes from the deck of a carrier, I just had to do them.

Not the fastest of electric ducted fans but rolls great. will loop, does tight turns and lands at a crawl.

Regards,

Eric.

Now if I can just get my hands on a a second one to do tight formation flying!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15957.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	984198   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39131.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	984199