RCU Forums - View Single Post - CX2 servo linkage
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2008, 09:48 PM
snobelt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CX2 servo linkage

ORIGINAL: soloboss

The secret is to get the flybar lighter / shorter so it is more responsive. That flybar is intended to resist any movement that you command via the lower blades (the blades that you control). The stock flybar is very good at its job. Moving the linkage to the second hole does work in conjunction with the flybar mod so it has less mass.

A good sequence for new fliers is outlined in the Wiki article. I know it works.
From stock, when you in control and want a little more, remove the brass weights from the rubber flybar boots.
Fly that way until you are always in control, then try the flybar mod that I outlined. Actually, you can remove the rubber boot from the stock flybar without damaging anything. With the boot removed, add two wheel collars to the 'hook' at the end of the flybar. Get collars with 1/16" hole in the center and a locking set screw.
Remove the upper blades and spin the flybar to be sure it is in balance.
If all is well, go fly.
For more performance, remove one of the weights, leaving one weight on each end. YOu should be getting pretty good performance now.

At this point, move the linkage out one hole.
I never moved my linkage at all, I just adjusted the flybar weight via the flybar mod that I outlined in the Wiki. I could get the performance so radical that I couldn't fly it. It was just too crazy.

Following the publication of the Wiki How-To, Wolfpackin put together a really nice flybar using Xtreme flybar hubs, CF rod and end weights. The finished flybar is sold on US Hobby Supply web site (ushobbysupply.com). If wolfpackin says it works, it works.

Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of helicopters. One day in the not too distant future we'll look for you guys on the "Struggling with Single Rotor Basics" thread within the Eflight forum. Most everyone on that thread came from the wonderful world of CX2's and the modifications we all used.

At the beginning of the Wiki aritcle is a note; "A compilation of compelling comments from the incompetent flier known as, Soloboss"
That's me.
The actual publishing to the Wiki was done by a friend who I haven't talked to in a very long time. If you find the paper worthwhile, PM DrunkYoda and tell him thank you.

It's good to hear that someone is still using the guide.

Blue Skies,
Soloboss
Soloboss - Okay, I have read and re-read all the good info you and Drunk Yoda provided on the CX WIKI. One thing I'm not clear on - - the flybars were cut down to 3 3/8" of exposed metal. Is that 3 3/8" of each flybar rod half or of the combined halfs? In other words, would that dimension be from locking collar to locking collar - that seems pretty small but your photos almost look like it could be. In any case I have an extra flybar and I'm ready to mod it per the CX article. Side note - where did you get the boom and any advice on that mod?
You know, I've been driving this thing around the house and garage since last fall and was kind of losing interest until I discovered there are guys outside with some minor mods made.
So I'm ready to try some new stuff. If I break a few blades, what the hell - it's better than watching the heli sit on a shelf. Thanks much.