RCU Forums - View Single Post - 4 strokes
Thread: 4 strokes
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2008, 03:17 PM
Bananaboat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 4 strokes

Hello All,
I am very new at 4 strokes and would appreciate some help !!!

I've bought my first 4 stroke engine last week ... It's a Magnum 70 RFS. Did the break-in as recomended by manufactor and I'm still running it a little ritch. I'll try to give as much information as possible so you can have a better idea of what is going on...

Prop: 13x6 (master)
Break in fuel: Wild Cat > 2 cicle fuel - 10% nitro 18% castor oil
Current Fuel: Wild Cat > 4 cicle fuel - 15% nitro 18% oil
Engine Mount: Inverted
Tank position: ABOVE CARB position (I know that this is a problem ... not sure HOW much of a problem)
Tank size: 12 OZ
# of tanks ran after break-in: 4
Glow plug: OS type F
Airplane: Extra 300S 46 (Phoenix Models)

After the break in and with new fuel I've started to adjust the idle .... It idles pretty good for a few seconds and it will start to slow down. If I give some throttle it will get back to normal but will get back to the same situation in a bit. The problem I have is ... I can't get the engine to idle on a speed that the plane with sit still... I noticed that if I leave the glow in for a couple of seconds and let the engine warm it will give better idle for a while.

Does 4 stroke engines work like this ?? I wont be able to get it to idle unless a give some throttle now and then ??

something else I've tried : If I leave the glow starter plugged In I can idle as slow as I want !!! and the engine wont stop... Once I remove the glow starter it will slow down and die... Already changed a glow PLUg and it didn't help at all.

What about the tank position.... could that be the problem ??? maybe that + the inverted position ? Maybe 4 tanks after break-in is still not enough to set it properly.... ?

I am trying to read all I can about 4 stroke engines.... but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot,

Renato.