RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top Flite B-25 - Wingspan Models Add-ons Build Thread
Old 07-07-2008, 03:59 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite B-25 - Wingspan Models Add-ons Build Thread

Ok, with the old turret off the fuselage and the fuselage prepped we’re going to push it aside for now. Next we will be building the cylinder that the new turret will be riding on. Pulling out all the wood pieces we find 3 wood disks (Labeled TT1, TT2, and TT3), two partial fuselage formers, and the wood piece that will be the deck floor for mounting the new turret in place. Since these parts were laser cut there is going to be a bit of charring on the edges of the parts. Some people will say it doesn’t matter, but myself I prefer to remove this charring before I assemble them. A quick swipe with a fine grit sandpaper will make short work of getting the charring off of the parts.

To start our turret cylinder we will need TT1 and the small plastic drive disk. Now the instructions indicate that TT1 will have a circle “scored” into the wood to indicate the mounting location for the plastic disk. I’m not sure what they meant by “scoring” because the part I received had a circle cut clear through the wood with a laser cutter, which was retained in place by four “tabs” around the circle. Before we mount the drive wheel on the TT1 we need to identify the correct side of the disk. Looking at the disk you will see that one side has a small hole in it and the other side has a “D” shaped hole in it. It’s very important to make sure that the “D” shaped hole is on the bottom of the drive disk as this is the part that will mount to the drive motor. Prior to gluing the disk in place I used some 200 grit sandpaper to rough up the disk in order for the CA to better stick to the disk. Apply medium CA to the outside “ring” of the drive disk and then place on TT1. As you can see in the pictures, I inserted several small pins in the scored ring of TT1. I did this to help properly position the plastic drive disk on the wood part.

The instructions do not call for this, but I decided to fill the scored ring with thick CA. I wasn’t really happy with the entire turret being retained by the small wood “tabs” left in the scored ring, and I wanted to strengthen this up some. So I used thick CA to fill this ring.

Pictures
1. The wood parts for the Top Turret kit.
2. The bottom of the cylinder (TT1) and the plastic drive disk.
3. This side of the disk has the small hole in it, DO NOT USE this side.
4. This side of the disk has the “D” shaped hole in it. This side is mounted so it shows on the bottom of the cylinder.
5. Use sandpaper to rough the plastic prior to gluing.
6. The outer ring is now roughed up.
7. Apply medium CA to the outer ring.
8. Position the drive disk on TT1. Note using straight pins to position the part.
9. Fill the scored ring in with thick CA.
10. Use find sandpaper to remove the charring left from laser cutting.

Until next time

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57729.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	985723   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk32043.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	985724   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc79146.jpg