RCU Forums - View Single Post - Composite-Arf 33% Gee Bee R2 - First Flight - Pics - Videos - L@@K
Old 07-07-2008, 09:14 PM
RichardGee
My Feedback: (156)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Composite-Arf 33% Gee Bee R2 - First Flight - Pics - Videos - L@@K

FLYING WIRES -

First, I IGNORED the manual's stated lengths and opted to determine correct lengths on my own using good kite string. I found actual lengths to be different than those stated in manual, but could not recall for you what the actual lengths should be - this will likely vary from model to model due to production tolerances and where each modeler locates the mounting holes in wings and fuselage.

I wrote down the EXACT required lengths - HOLE TO HOLE - and determined how to chop up flying wires accordingly. You will be cutting the 4 flying wires into 2 sections each, creating 8 separate flying wires.

Obviously, one end of the SS flying wire will have the forged threaded end, and the other end will require you to SILVER SOLDER a brass fitting that has been flattened, drilled, and bent to conform to mounting dimensions.

Proper soldering requires a VERY POWERFUL soldering iron or brazing torch, good flux and Silver Solder.

As the instructions state, "The flying wires are what HOLD YOUR GEE BEE TOGETHER IN FLIGHT" There can be NO COMPROMISES in properly constructing the flying wires.

I used a grinding wheel to fully rough up the soldered end of the SS wire before soldering. I also cleaned with lacquer thinner. Once constructed and mounted.....
The entire affair is tightened via the flying wire "cables" that go from inner gear mounts to bottom of fuselage. Once tightened, you can actually pluck the lower cables and they will 'sing' - Anything less than this, and you are asking for an in-flight failure OR a ground loop and flip over due to wobbly gear.

I have not yet flown this R2, but DO have experience flying a quarter scale R2.
ROCK SOLID LANDING GEAR are integral to landing successes.