RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top Flite B-25 - Wingspan Models Add-ons Build Thread
Old 07-08-2008, 09:13 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite B-25 - Wingspan Models Add-ons Build Thread

Ok, up to now we’ve done the easy part! Now it’s time to actually cut into the skin of the plane. I know that some guys out there will probably get sick in the stomach at the thought of cutting in to the their beautiful warbird. But trust me here. As I said earlier, Michael at Wingspan models has definitely done his homework. With his guidance it’s a simple matter of getting the cutting done in exactly the right spot on the plane. So……. Take a deep breath, get a sharp X-Acto blade, and let’s start cutting.

Michael’s instructions state that the cutting template needs to be placed on the centerline of the fuselage. While the instructions don’t call of this I thing it’s easier if we identify the centerline first before we place the template in place. As I mentioned in an earlier post, go ahead and remove the MonoKote in the area we are going to cut. This will allow us to see the centerline in the wood of the fuselage. Now it’s a simple task of using a ruler to extend this line down the fuselage (NOTE: When making any marks on the covering I prefer to use Sharpie Fine Line Markers. These make easy to see marks that can be cleaned up with a bit of a alcohol on a paper towel). Although I didn’t do it here, the centerline can be verified pretty easily if you’re nervous about getting it set properly. Simply use a straight pin and push it though the fuselage on the centerline you just marked. Looking inside the fuselage you can verify that the pin does indeed come though in the center of the stringer that is in the center of the fuselage.

The cutting template is marked on one edge to indicate which end goes behind the cockpit. Place this line on the very edge of the backside of the cockpit. On the other end of the template align the mark with the centerline mark on the fuselage. Use tape to secure the cutting template in place on the fuselage. Make sure to tape down the sides as well. This is important to get the template secured because we will be cutting down the curve of the fuselage. For the initial cut we don’t want to cut all the way through the wood of the fuselage, but rather we only want to score the wood to mark were we need to cut. Use enough pressure to cut through the paper of the template and to mark the wood. In picture #5 you can see my score line, I have highlighted with a black marker to make it easier to see. Now we can cut through the wood of the fuselage. It’s easier to make several light cuts than try to cut it all at once. If you try to cut it all at once you will rip the wood from the outer edge of the cut, which will detract from the overall quality of the final product. Also, I found it easier to use a small razor saw to cut through the stringers. But if a proper razor saw is not available the cuts can be made with a hobby knife, simply take your time and make smaller cuts until you have cut through the stringers. Once the cuts have all been made you can lift away the cutout portion of the fuselage.

If needed now would be a great time to clean up the wiring inside the fuselage. With this cutout area it’s easy to get to this area of the fuselage to clean it all up.

Now, see how easy that was??

Pictures
1. Use a marker to extend the centerline from the cutout area of the turret.
2. The new mark indicates the centerline of the fuselage.
3. Line up the cutting template with the back of the cockpit and the centerline.
4. Securely tape the cutting template in position.
5. Use a sharp hobby knife to cut through the template and score the wood underneath.
6. The scored line should indicate where to cut.
7. Use a hobby knife to cut through the wood of the fuselage.
8. A small razor saw makes it easy to cut through the stringers.
9. Lift the cut out section out of the fuselage.
10. Lift the cut out section out of the fuselage.
11. With the cutout section gone it’s easy to access and clean up your wiring inside the fuselage.
12. The fuselage is now ready for the Top Turret installation.

Until next time

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19956.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	986249   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up49152.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	986250   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68739.jpg