RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top Flite B-25 - Wingspan Models Add-ons Build Thread
Old 07-10-2008, 02:15 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite B-25 - Wingspan Models Add-ons Build Thread

Since we cut a large hole in the top of the fuselage it might leave the fuselage a bit weak. Wingspan has taken that into account and provides two half formers that are reinserted into the fuselage on either side of the turret in order to strengthen the fuselage.

One thing about working with an early release of any plane is that sometimes things change as the manufacturer moves into production. I think that is what happened here. If you look at picture one you will see that there is no cutout in the formers to take into account the antenna tube that is ran down the inside of the fuselage. I phone call to Michael confirmed that the plane he was working off of did not have this tube installed. But it’s no big deal either, as it’s a very simple matter of using a rotary tool to cut out a notch to clear the antenna tube. I had to use a file to widen the cutouts for the stringers in order to get the former to go in to the fuselage. Here was another part that took a bit to figure out how to get it installed. I found that best way was the get the formers in the fuselage and “square” them up across the fuselage under the turret hole, and then push them back into place on the edges of the hole. Otherwise it was very difficult to get the formers in over the stringers. Position each former so that it is just past the edges of the turret hole. Once the former is in place then they are glued in place using medium CA.

Pictures
1. No cutout in former for the antenna tube.
2. Use a rotary tool to make a cutout for the antenna tube.
3. File the former to get it to fit over the stringers.
4. Square the former in the fuselage.
5. Push the former back in to place over the stringers.
6. Rear former in place.
7. Turn the fuselage up to apply CA.
8. Apply CA to the formers to glue into place.

Until next time

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77153.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	987534   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64266.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	987535   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr42221.jpg