RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top Flite B-25 - Wingspan Models Add-ons Build Thread
Old 07-11-2008, 02:26 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite B-25 - Wingspan Models Add-ons Build Thread

Well, we’re in the home stretch on finishing up the Top Turret add-on. Where we are at now is the time to double check the operation of the turret drive unit and make sure that everything works properly. If there is anything that needs adjusted now is the time to take care of it. The instructions at this point state that if desired the inside of the fuselage could be painted. If it was needed I would have done that, but I really wanted to avoid the hassle of doing that if I could. I was able to cut the hole for the top turret pretty tight and it’s difficult to see any of the wood from inside the fuselage when the turret is in place. Because of that I decided to not paint the inside of the fuselage.

Then last step in the installation is to secure the turret to the drive unit and install the canopy on the turret cylinder. Place the turret on the drive unit output shaft, making sure to seat the drive disk of the cylinder on the shaft. A small sheet metal screw is then used to secure the cylinder to the drive unit. To install the screw it is place in the hole in the bottom of the cylinder floor (this is why I indicated to leave the turret canopy off in the last step). Use a screwdriver to tighten the screw to secure the cylinder. Now the canopy can be installed. Feed the gun barrels through the slots in the canopy and then seat the canopy on the turret cylinder. Use the 5 #0 x 1/8” pan head screws to secure the canopy to the cylinder. And that’s it; the Top Turret Assembly is completed.

One last item to mention here. I did not talk about the battery for the drive unit. I did not install it at this time for a reason. I want to install the battery in an area that will be easy to put a battery in to the battery holder. It’s not good to leave batteries installed like this if not in use and I want to make it easy to get to, as well as easy to install the battery when it’s time to fly. I didn’t want to have to take apart parts of the plane in order to access the battery. Because of this I have decided to install the battery above the bomb bay when I get to that installation. This way it’s a simple matter of opening the bomb bay to access the drive battery for the Top Turret. But if a bomb bay is not being installed the battery can easily be installed under the cockpit floor, inside the nose gunner canopy, or another spot I had considered for the installation was inside the front landing gear bay. So there are options for where this battery can be installed.

I’ve put together a small video of the completed Top Turret to show it working. That can be found here:

[link=http://review.infinityok.com/top_turret_add_on.wmv]WingSpan Models Top Turret Add-On Video[/link]

A couple of notes here. I was very impressed with the quality of this Add-On kit provided by WingSpan Models. Michael has done a great job of putting together a kit that will make easy for everybody to be able to do a quality installation of the Top Turret. I have no doubt that many people with the TF B-25 will look forward to being able to add working features such as this without the worry of “screwing up” their beautiful warbird. This Add-On is perfectly suited to help them. I am hoping that later on I will be able to get the scale gun kit and the pilot figure to add in to the turret to help improve the look of the turret.

Pictures
1. Install the cylinder on the drive unit.
2. Sheet metal screw used to secure the cylinder to the drive unit.
3. Tighten the screw.
4. Feed the gun barrels through the slots in the canopy.
5. Place the canopy on the cylinder.
6. Install the small pan screws to secure the canopy in place.
7. Turning the turret drive motor on.
8. Turning the turret drive motor off.
9. The drive battery will be installed in the bomb bay later on.

Until next time

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88737.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	988442   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62787.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	988443   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37242.jpg