RCU Forums - View Single Post - First gasser, Prestwich Sigma51
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2008, 05:55 PM
glennb2006

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First gasser, Prestwich Sigma51

ORIGINAL: Test005

Yes, there's a larger diameter brass tube that gets glassed in and the stuffing tube slides into this. I will also silicone the stuffing tube at the transom and make a plywood bracket for it closer to the motor output shaft, so yes, it will be removable'ish if needed

The engine rails are predrilled and I mounted the motor there. I suppose Dave has balanced it perfectly already and I use only stock equipment from the kit.
Seeing the quality of this ship, I have a feeling the CG will come out spot on!

About trimming without trim tab: The rudder doesn't move much back to front and the stufing tube is pushed all the way in the strut and the strut is bolted on rigid.
There is a bolt holding the strut to the mount though and it can slide up>down but with the stuffing tube in there, I don't know if it can go up and down anymore...?
As a beginner I'd prefer to have trim tabs for easy adjustment, for fun driving, I can afford to sacrifice some speed.

Hi Test,

if you look on the technical info page of Dave's site, there are strut set up tips there, follow them and you will get the stuffing tube in the correct location. It makes a big difference to boat handling on the Panther and I suspect it does on the Sigma too, the height is critical, and needs adjusting for different props.

I took the trim tabs off my boat - not needed, trust Dave on that one. As Mart said, trim adjustments can be made with the strut mainly.

To support the stuffing tube at the engine end, have you considered a Tee bar?

Have fun with the build.

Glenn