RCU Forums - View Single Post - Tower .46 break in
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2008, 12:26 AM
pilotchute
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tower .46 break in

Need advise. I'm in process of breaking in a Tower .46 ABC. Using the heat cycling method, ran the engine for 1 minute and then cooled down 5-6 times. Needle valve rich but always 2 cycling. Then did the same for 3 minute runs 5 times. Carefully ran engine up and using a 10X7 prop, engine would peak a little over 13,000 RPM. Set needle back to about 12,500 and ran engine with no sag. Ran for 2 tanks this way. High speed needle at 4 turns. Low speed adjustment difficult and not complete, but with only about a quart of fresh Wildcat fuel through it, I don't think it's fully broken in. Added castor, so oil is about 25%. Very good compression cold.

Engine starts on 2nd flip cold, but hot or even warm I think it would take the rest of my life to get it started even when using an electric starter. Acts flooded. Replaced glow plug with an O.S. #8. Tried different needle settings. Took entire fuel system apart and blew out, including engine and tank. Tank is centered on the carb and fuel does not drain into engine. No bubbles in fuel lines. No holes in fuel lines or tank leaks. Filters clean. Poor compression hot.

Isn't 4 turns a little much for the high speed needle?

Sure appreciate any feedback you may have.

Thanks, Dick.