RCU Forums - View Single Post - The Dart seaplane
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2008, 07:52 PM
beenie
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Dart seaplane

Rog, I never thought that the surface area would be too much for the engine, but I have given some thought to the lack of propwash over the elevons. I had designed a little fin that sits on the nacelle and would help the plane out. It could be stationary or mixed to the elevator channel. It would help it get up during takeoff and help the pitch coupling associated with an engine that high up. However, based on the Arrow, it will not be needed. The arrow has a 52" fuse that appears to be around 6" or so wide with 800sq/in of wing area pulled around with something as small as a .40.
The hull ended up a little deeper than I wanted it to be based on the requirement that it floats. When I first drew it it was a good bit shallower, but it would have had to sit with the wings on the water bearing about 8 oz of bouancy. So I deepened the hull and widened it a bit until the numbers worked out. I thought about the takeoff for a long time and decided that it sould be ok (maybe) because it will sit tail low at rest, with the wings either just touching or just over the water. On power application, the high thrust line should help it rotate to level and there should be enough speed after a moment for the elevons to be effective. The step is just foward of the CG so rotating for takeoff shouldn't take too much force. Or at least that is the plan. Getting up on plane will be helped greatly by the flat bottom and the fairly sharp rise aft of the step (I hope). I kept the nose broad as far foward as possible to help keep it from nosing down into the water on power application, I even did a drawing where the nose didn't taper at all in the top view. It looked too much like the stake.

As for the chuck glider, they are a really quick and handy way to try out stuff when you don't have a clue. Although I never thought of using a fly to power an airplane, guess it didn't work out too good Also. git, what blue tape are you refering to?
Not many more pics for now, I'm back out at work. I'll have some progress in a little less than a week.
Ben
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65620.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	995860