RCU Forums - View Single Post - Flaperons
Thread: Flaperons
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2008, 06:51 AM
nhblacksmith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Flaperons

I recently recovered an LT40 and replaced the 1-1/2" x full length ailerons with 3" x full length flaperons. The 3-position switch is set up as no flaps, about 15 degrees and about 35 degrees. The plane is a dream to fly in the wind and with much of a breeze, it can be flown backwards. It lands at a snail's pace and will take off in about 8 feet. With a longer run and full flaps it will take off and climb out at less than 1/4 throttle (ST .51 engine). I don't have any elevator mixed in and at high speed, it just balloons without really changing attitude when the flaps are deployed. However, all this comes with a catch...

You need to be fast on the throttle and ailerons when flying slow because it will tip stall instantly if you get careless. I had a Stik that the former owner had set up with elevator coupling and a combo flaperon/spoileron setup. I hated the thing because it climbed or dove rather than slowing when either was deployed. The flaps on the LT40 are great fun and always draw a reaction from the other guys at the field when I do a flyby a foot off the ground at less than walking speed. Just remember that they are unforgiving if you go outside the envelope and I already had one minor incident when the plane tip stalled into a death spiral at 35 feet up on takeoff. I almost recovered it before it hit the ground and there was minor damage but it taught a valuable lesson.

Experiment and have fun!

Neal
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31641.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	996097   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88248.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	996098