RCU Forums - View Single Post - Where, if anywhere, is electric pylon racing?
Old 07-27-2008, 04:31 PM
rocket_jim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Where, if anywhere, is electric pylon racing?

Well, the Firecracker 4-minute 2008 is history! Tim hopes to make it an annual event.

We had 8 entrants. That's double what we had at our first race. If we double participation every time, then the sky's the limit! All had Blue Rays, plus a few brought Run What You Brungs to make it interesting. On the 200 feet apart pylons, the 3s Blue Ray was the clear speed and quickness winner in all classes. Well Duh!

The RCRC Guys went home talking about having a race or even two there yet this season if they can just work it into the busy club schedule. We'll bring our clipboards, our pylons, and our enthusiasm! Oh, yes, our planes!

We had about an hour rain break mid-day. Showed me how many close friends I really have when it comes time to share my pop-up in a driving rainstorm!

Unfortunately my built the night-before and maidened in the first heat race Blue Ray took several heats to dial-in, and I really think something was wrong with it besides the loose pilot nut. Unfortunately it got strained thru a tree, obliterating the evidence. Fortunately it was a low tree just inside the Black Poison Ivy and Ticks Forest. So with a long PVC pole and some luck, I got all my gear back.

And the wet weather ... Slosh! standing water in the grass, and barefoot people all over after the rain! Call it Woodstock without the music, the drugs, and the Love! ... weakened the Scotch tape hinging the ailerons of my Outrage. So at any speed, it would only roll left. What an exciting heat that was. Fortunately I was somehow able to loiter during the race high-lefting to the amazement of the crowd (What's Wrong with That Guy!?) and to bring it back down safely to fix and to fly another day. Now I wonder why I did not try using the barn-door rudder to turn it, but my left hand is pretty dumb so far!

You who were not there missed quite a day of sun, rain, sloshing, and flying!
Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95492.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	998840   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40409.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	998841   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89657.jpg
Views:	38