RCU Forums - View Single Post - W.E.B. Griffin
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2008, 06:00 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default W.E.B. Griffin

Dear Small-Minded People,

I've heard that some of youse-all claim to read books. Real ones with big words and lots of pages. Sometimes even stories about bad guys and good guys in them - war stories sometimes.

I will stick my neck out and declare that I think that W.E.B. Griffin is one of the best writers of this type of novel around. The really good news is that he has written a bunch of them. The only small downside is that the aviation side of his stories are not his primary focus.

I'm particularly fond of his "The Corps" series (Marine Corps of course). I just finished book IV, Battleground, of that series. I know I've read it before, maybe twice before, so that makes three. Yeah, I like the way he writes. This story is about the WWII war in the Pacific and has a few F4F pilot characters. [Be forewarned that parts of it are not necessarily kind to Navy brass (Guadalcanal)].

So, here's the deal; if you don't mind reading a series book out of sequence (each is his books stands alone just fine anyway), and you can afford the heavy price I intend to extract from you, and if you act before midnight tonight (or before midnight any night) I will send the afore-mentioned literature directly to you through the United States Postal Service (in a plain brown paper wrapper naturally). What is this "heavy price" you ask? Just this, I will send it to the first person who responds to me via PM with his/her U.S. Mail address. If anyone else is interested, they must send a PM to the person who has responded before them with their address, etc.

So the first person responds here; Yes I am person "one" sign me up. I am sending a PM to Raymond.
The second person responds here, Yes I would like to be person "two", I am sending a PM to person "one".
The third person responds here, Yes I would like to be person "three", I am sending a PM to person "two".
Ad infinitum.

Ok so I lied about the "heavy price". So sue me . . . No! No! Forget I said that! Nobody charges nothin'.

Why you ask, is this swell fellow, Raymond, going to all this trouble just to get a paperback book off his shelf? Can't say really. Just seemed like something fun to do (it IS a good read). And maybe someone who doesn't "know" Mr. Griffin will awaken to something more entertaining than "Celebrity Circus"(!)