RCU Forums - View Single Post - Is My Battery Pack Toast ????
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2008, 10:14 AM
jet-modeller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is My Battery Pack Toast ????

Hi Don, I had a similar problem with a Kokam 3s 4A pack first of all use a stand alone balancer
then set your li-po charger to two cells and charge watching carefully the balance should prevent
the other two cells that are at the correct voltage from over charging when depending on your
charger the pack voltage reaches between 8.4 - 8.6 v stop charging and re-set your charger to
3 cell 11.1v keeping the cell's connected to the balancer and your charger should now see the pack
as a three cell and start charging, the balancer should prevent the other cell's from overcharging
when you have finished this procedure cycle the pack two or three times using your balancer
before you fly the pack checking that after each cycle the pack is holding a suitably usable voltage
i.e leave maybe a 24 hr period in between each cycle , It may at first glance seem complicated
but its not really, Do Not do this if you do not have a good Li-xx balancer, also I have never used
a normal nicad charger on li-po's but I would not recommend it I might be wrong and those that have
posted before me telling you to do this might know more than me but I would not use a standard
charger on my li-po's,
I really hope this helps there's nothing worse than a self inflicted mistake, we have all done it your not alone,
keep smiling and keep having fun in this great hobby,
James.