RCU Forums - View Single Post - Muffler support???
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2008, 03:06 PM
80stars

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Muffler support???

Thanks Al and other PMs

Al,
I have lots of feedback from others that ALL wrap around Pitts mufflers either come with a mount bracket or are tapped for one from the factory to avoid cracking. This leads me to believe I will be sending this one back to you after it cracks and I really don't want the down time on the airplane.

How do you suggest I avoid this??? I have mounted this muffler as per your instructions and always do a through preflight, how long is the warranty?

ORIGINAL: al

Do not drill out the end of your muffler. Any modification will void the warrenty.

Make sure the mounting bolts are cleaned and use loctite to secure them in place. Do not use a gasket. We suggest a very thin layer of hi temp silicon for the gasket.

MAKE SURE YOU KEEP EVERY THING BALANCED AT ALL TIMES!!! Check you muffler bolt as you would your prop bolts.

Remember you are using steel bolts in an aluminum head. They expand and contract at different rates. This difference in cofficent of expansion can cause different materials to loosen. If you notice all the bolts on the DA are Aluminum to reduce the effect.

As with any aspect of flying you need to do (PM) preventive maintenance prior to flying. You charge your batteries so check your prop for tightness and balance and any bolt on accessory which includes the muffler.

Al Young
JTEC