RCU Forums - View Single Post - Super Flying King twin-engined version
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2008, 07:47 AM
Firewoood
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Super Flying King twin-engined version

Fellow Builders

My name is David Fuchs and I am also getting ready to order the SFK from Mr. Thorpe. I am now working on my second normal sized FK. Not to suggest that some of you may be abnormal. :-) The purpose of my post is to discuss the aerodynamics of the SFK with respect to the twin engine version some of you are building and flying. First consider the tail configuration of some recent aircraft. The F/A-18, The F-14 and the F-15 although I prefer Navy. In high AOA flight configurations the nose of the aircraft often blocks the airflow across the vertical stabilizer. When the stabilizers are moved outboard, away from the centerline of the aircraft, the airflow is uninterruppted and the rudder effectiveness is maintained throughout all flight ranges and airspeeds. Other methods of accomplishing this is to increase the height of the vertical stabilizer. On the SFK, with the loss of one engine, the operator (pilot) may have to increase the power on the good engine in order to return to the approach end of the runway. This is the actual purpose of my post. I have often read from others who have built the FK, (normal sized) that they felt the rudder was to small. Mr. Thorpe has reassured us the rudder was the proper size. OK. BUT, in the larger version of the SFK, with the loss of one engine another aerodynamic factor needs to be considered. VMCair. Minimum control speed. If we increase the size of the rudder, with the loss of the critical engine, we may be able to (more effectively) maintain directional control. This could be a factor in returning to the runway in one piece.

I am open to receive comments [email protected]

Respectfully

Navy Davy