RCU Forums - View Single Post - New Video: HOW-To..3D maneuvers
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2008, 12:28 PM
amjflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HOW-To..3D maneuvers

Just came across this thread. I like to think i know most of the repertoire of manouveres these days but its always interesting to read how others do them and there is world of difference between doing even the most basic manouveres and doing them WELL. Unless you are a Kyle, Schulman, Leesburg, Briggs, Le-Roux or some other super-human type with a gift like me you need all the tips, tricks and beenfit of others experience you can get your hands on. A snap is a good case in point, i learned how to put the sticks in the corners about 6 months after learning to fly but 7 years later im still polishing my snaps

A thought about a couple of manouveres missing from the thread, and worth adding:

Lomcevak (or tumble)
1. usually entered from left-to-right knife-edge at about half to 75% throttle.
2. Quickly apply full left aileron and down elevator and simultaneously drop the throttle to 25% or even idle.
2. The aircraft should tumble end over end. A true lomcevak requires the tail to pass through the flight line of the aircraft (ie in front!).
3. a nice exit is to recover again in knife-edge, or, go straight into a hover/torque roll.
The full size has another variation on this that ive seen Kirby Chambliss and the like do but ive been unable to replicate it with the model. They enter from high, straight and level 75% throttle, yaw left, then execute the tumble as above and the aircraft very slowly tumbles end-over-end descending until the tumble loses moemntum and they recover.

Rebound roll
There are a multitude of variations of this based on the same principle of making the aircraft seem as if it was rolling and bounced off a spring rolling back in the other direction. My favourite is:
1. Enter straight level and upright. Roll left at maximum roll rate to inverted.
2. Stop the roll dead level inverted and simultaneously apply maximum opposite roll, BRIEFLY, and quickly release pressure slowing the return roll rate to a slow roll rate finishing a full roll, returning to inverted again. All the time correcting flight path as required with rudder/elevator.

The variations all have the start and rebound starting and finishing at different positions, ie 1/4 roll, 1/2 roll, 3/4 roll etc.
When I saw and worked this one out i thought that seems easy enough. Then i tried it and its one of the toughest manouveres ive tried to get looking good.

Great thread btw!