RCU Forums - View Single Post - I flew a new trainer this week!
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2008, 12:15 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I flew a new trainer this week!

I was looking for a good quality small electric 4 channel plane capable of slow flight and confined area flying. I ended up leaving my LHS with a Sig Kadet EP 42b (the "b" version comes with a brushless motor and LiPo compatable speed control). So my shopping list consisted of the following:

Kadet EP 42b: $159
4x Hitech HS-55 micro servos: $55.96 ($13.99 ea.)
2x Thunder Power 1320 Mah 3s LiPo batteries: $110.00 ($55.00 ea.)
1x Spektrum DSM2 AR6100 micro Reciever: $49.00

Adittionally I have a LiPo balancing battery charger that stung me for $129

So for about $400 I now have a pretty nice park flyer/trainer. I was able to assemble it in one evening. The instructions are well writen with great pictures. My club feild is grass and very rough. So I felt that if I could ROG with this plane on my feild, no one would have a problem with this plane. It handled it beautifully. Just a little rudder to keep it straight and I was off and flying in about 8-10 ft. Climb was pretty agressive at a 45 degree accent angle. After reaching a safe altitude I set my trims. One click of aileron and a couple more on the elevator and my little Kadet was flying hands off. Very stable. I have my throws set for a beginner so I can have freinds and family fly the plane. Rolls were a little lethargic but can be accelerated with use of rudder and elevator coupeling. So Naturally I started doing rolling circles with the little plane. Loops, stall turns, Cuban 8's and inverted flight are all fun and possible with it. I was impressed with the stock power plants performance. While not providing unlimited virtical it is still pretty stout (remember this is a trainer). When I forced the plane to stall it fell directly forward and imediately recovered with no more than a 2-3 foot altitude loss. When it came time to land, the little plane came right in at a very slow speed and landed very easily.

I have flown a variety of planes in various different sizes and most notible about the Kadet EP is that is does not have the "twitchy/touchy" feel that a lot of the small planes have. It really flies like a larger trainer. The cost of purchacing and setting up this plane is the only negative about this plane. But if space (either flying space or car space) is an issue then this may be the plane your looking for. I can throw this in my Honda Civic (2 door) with the wings attached and fly it at the local highschool football feild.