RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top Flite DC-3 or any person who has a twin and take off issues.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:26 PM
2engsout
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite DC-3 or any person who has a twin and take off issues.

Hi Scott, I know exactly what you are talking about. I have been flying the Ziroli DC-3 for 3 years now and I have 6 flights on my Ziroli Beech 18. The Beech 18 takes a hard left as soon as the tail starts to fly on the rollout. No amount of right rudder is going to compensate for the "P" factor envoled. Nick Ziroli sr. had the same issues when he 1st flew the Beech 18. Both engines were originally out 2 degrees, so he pointed the left one straight ahead and it helped alot! I was the twin sync beta tester for the Zenoah engines and fortunatly Bill Wike added an optional "rudder steer" mode for floatplanes because they wont turn at low speeds. When you apply right rudder, the left engine will throttle up and vice versa. I can steer with the throttles up to about 60% throttle opening. The throttles stay synced untill you go past half way to full right rudder and then the mix overrides the sync mode. I tested this mode on my Beech 18 for takeoffs and it helped alot, but I also tweeked the parameters for the IC in the twin sync unit. Now it works great! I can takeoff in a 20 mph crosswind and keep her straight all the way to rotation! (with a little practice). If you contact Bill at [email protected] and get a twin sync from him with Rick's rudder steer improvments, you will fix your takeoff problem, plus the added benifit of safe twin flying. Rick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71649.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	1011074   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62956.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	1011075