RCU Forums - View Single Post - Best glow driver?
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2008, 11:55 AM
tggilkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best glow driver?

Until the advent of the YS DZ's there didn't seem to be much of a need for a delay glow driver, but I can tell you from personal experience that the delay feature is worth every penny. Prior to using one I had everything from happen from props loosening, to spinner cones wrinkled, to threads messed up on the crank/jam nuts, to the spinner back plate and thrust washer grinding themselves into little pieces of aluminum. The knock on initial ignition, even if it results in a successful start, can't be good for the crank pin, either end of the connecting rod, or the piston (to say nothing about the stress that initial whack can put on the front end of the plane even with a soft mount). I have heard about, but never seen, engine cowls being damaged by that kick. With a delay, most starts are extremely smooth; sometimes so smooth with the idle throttle matching what the starter is turning, only the change in sound will signify the engine is really running on its own. The one I have (similar to the one in discussion here) has adjustable delay timing as well as plug current. It was worth the cost. With a second person to punch a button, an option could be to have the other person fire up the glow plug once the engine is turning. Many times I'm flying by myself so the delay driver is great. Based on my experience and comments of others who use something like it, I would recommend using one.

My 2 cents worth.
Tom