RCU Forums - View Single Post - Engine Break in Stand. Don't need to buy one!
Old 08-20-2008, 03:57 PM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Engine Break in Stand. Don't need to buy one!

ORIGINAL: Villa

That is quite the project. If nothing ever goes wrong in your life it should work well for you. In my case, I see it as a disaster waiting to happen. On at least two occasions I have started an engine when the throttle was wide open. If that will never happen to you all should be OK.

I always check the throttle position before starting my engines, plus I keep a hand on the bracket just behind the tank. It's not a disaster as long as I pay attention and take my time. I fly small and full size aircraft and I check, re-check and if I'm not sure I check again. It's a very good habit to get into.

I'm the type of guy who has built things that didn't work. The last engine test stand ripped apart when I used my hand starter. [X(] I learned a few things as a result. And yes, I still have all my body parts.

How about an eye bolt screwed into the bottom of the stool seat and one of those screw anchors for tents or something screwed into the ground beneath the stool. A short length of heavy duty bungee cord should hold everything in place just fine. Easy to set up and take down.
That's a great idea! I do tilt the stool back to find my perfect high end adjustment. This is after adjusting the high end from really rich ( almost 4 Stroke sound, to 2 Stroke sound) back and fourth at full throttle, then I'll idle the motor on and off until two tanks of fuel have been exhausted, then I make my final adjustments.

The only bad thing about this test stand is I get oil soaked standing behind the motor, now I know what my planes feel like! It was all over my face and clothing.[sm=lol.gif]

I also figured out what glow fuel tastes like... I licked my lips while I was cleaning up my tools and it tasted terrible![sm=52_52.gif]

I thank you two for your compliments, and thank's Fancman for your fantastic idea! I also designed it so I can un-screw the engine stand from the stool... and I can clamp or screw it to a work bench once my wife and I get a garage.

Luftwaffe Oberst
Radio Aero Modelers Club
District II
Pulaski, NY

Supporter of RedNeck R/C - Fulton, NY